Sunday, January 25, 2009

dave jordano

© Dave Jordano
----

Sometimes the absence of something helps us understand it better.

This idea was spoken about in class and piqued my interest, but I don't think I processed it and fully understood how resonating it could be until I looked through Dave Jordano's Web site of personal work today.
He shoots portraiture, interiors, exteriors, details, everything you want to say about a place in a poetic kind of way.

I don't think I would have appreciated this kind of vision as much as it should be a couple of years ago when I thought success was to become a fast-shooting telephoto-slinging news photographer. It got to point where I was convinced that producing a quiet photo was a failure in retrospect despite channeling what I felt when I was shooting.

Jordano presents us with silence and allows us to search for the echos. His photos seem to use color and light so deliberately. They engage my interest through a door in my head I rarely access.

I chose this photo to post, from his ongoing work Prairielands, because I couldn't get over how much he is saying in one photo about the subject I'm breaking my head trying to produce a whole essay about.

Take your open mind, some time, a cup of tea and explore his work.


No comments: