Sunday, November 7, 2010

missouring

group photo time via the yashica p&s / macon, missouri

Back in September, I had the opportunity to attend the 62nd Missouri Photo Workshop in Macon, Missouri and was awarded the Mary Clerc Scholarship to cover tuition. It was an amazing time that taught me a lot about giving and taking. The environment was nurturing and inspiring in a way that continued to push me even beyond all of my grad school hang ups. A lot of that had to do with the fact that my faculty members Chris Wilkins, from the Dallas Morning News, and Peggy Peattie, of the San Diego Tribune, were constructive and kind in their approach.

The story that resulted goes to show that. The edit of my 3.5-day shoot that we came up with, along with help from Team E, is up on the website and is a playful embrace of my strengths in storytelling. I put up a larger edit on my portfolio site.

My story focused on three kids who shared an apartment in town. I met one of them hanging out on the street and they were incredibly receptive quickly. I was worried after having the gift of access and rapport in Glouster for so long, I would have trouble working on a new story. Korie, Jackie and Timmy were a blast to hang out with and were always surprisingly generous.

Here are some outtakes:

Korie and Jackie

Jackie on a Kit Kat run

Late night TV

Tyler and Dustin in downtown Macon

The gang looking at my photos at the workshop's photo exhibit for the community (a really brilliant idea).

No comments: