Wednesday, November 10, 2010

persistence

Miranda's hair / © Maisie Crow
(probably my favorite photo ever)

This year's World Press Photo Masterclass galleries are up and have so much inspiring work. It was great to see stories relating to issues regarding women, including abortion in Kenya, their roles in a still-struggling Liberia and marginalized lives in a trailer park in Athens (a story Maisie shot this summer that I'm very close to). There was also beautifully shot personal work and important news stories (one shot by a girl reppin' El Salvador like a boss).

------

I'm sitting in front of the shack with the cats psyching myself up for my first trip to New York for editor meetings. This is a very small step I'm taking to making a full-on commitment to trying to make it in this life doing the photographic work I'm alternately inspired and intimidated by. My own personal persistence waivers in the face of limitations often. But with nothing but breadcrumbs in my checking account, I've decided that tomorrow I'm taking my half tank of fuel in my gas guzzler and going to Glouster to finish what I've started.

No comments: