Tuesday, May 8, 2007

citizenship

My content has been lagging because April has been a strange month to emerge from. I got to cover the swearing in of over 3000 new American citizens at the Miami Beach convention center in the beginning of April. This was interesting to cover because according to the letter that the Homeland Security Department sent me, my own application for citizenship, or naturalization, is sitting in their inbox and I'll know whether or not I'll be participating in such a thing within the next 720 days.

There was all sorts of teary-eyed pride. And, I hafta admit, despite the event's questionable musical choices [John Ashcroft's Let the Eagle Soar], it's hard not get caught up in the collective sense of accomplishment.

While my dad was frowning as he signed the check for the $1280 application fee we submitted on behalf of my sister, myself and my parents, we know that's probably one of the smaller costs we've faced in our 19 years since moving here in hopes of getting our citizenships. I don't mean this stuff in a cheesy God Bless the USA [which they also played] kinda way. But just watching people waving those little plastic flags and hearing them whisper to each other in their own languages...can't fight them warm fuzzies, yo.


No comments: