Wednesday, February 14, 2007

happy valentine's day

On this day of mass produced affection, I was reminded that I am as lucky in journalism as I am in love. Today I spent much of my shift covering the Anna Nicole beat. Along with most major broadcast stations, I was stationed outside of the Broward County Coroner's office just in case Anna Nicole Smith's mother would pick up her body.
Fans set up a memorial outside the office where her body is just waiting to be picked up.
Teresa talked my ear off about life, death, drugs and Anna. "I got the rest of the day off. I'd probably just go home and watch television about this anyway. I might as well just be here." She came with a notebook of frantically scribbled questions to ask Anna's mother and the coroner. I had another deadline to meet, so after four hours and nothing for the paper, I left to grab some food and head back to the office. As far as I know, Anna Nicole's body is still there, despite Teresa's gut feeling that her mom would show up.

No comments: