Monday, February 26, 2007

greekfest!

An older, more satisfying community news assignment on St. Demetrios' Greek Festival.

Unlike Morgan, I suck at dance photos. So despite their whole-hearted attempts at folkloric choreography, I had few successful photos of the kiddie Greek dancing. The editor scrolled through the GB and a half of unlit/harshly-lit/haphazardly-lit dance frames and would dwell on the backstage/anticipation stuff. Whether this should be indicative of a weakness in place or a strength in another, I'm not sure, but I had fun meeting the characters working the stands and shoving a variety of Greek cheeses in my face for sampling.

My favorite was Handsome James. He told me tales that painted the images of an idealized Greece with white walls, blue waters and fresh air. He is a handyman at the church and was working the cheese flambe table. More than anything he wanted to make me comfortable while I listened to him praise his wife, his country and his first step on American soil.
But I was still only brave enough to shoot from my seat. His presence was pretty dominating. I was just glad his heavy Greek accent was resonating enough to drown out my shutter blades.

No comments: