Thursday, December 25, 2008

dissolution


[if you've run into me in the past couple of months, you know what a debbie downer i've been. the mere thought of confronting my abilities as a photographer triggers an uncontrollable emotional response in me that makes people uncomfortable. that compounded with the unfortunate attitude about journalism these days that i've misguidedly absorbed has put me in this...weird place. 

whatevs. a new year approaches. a perfect excuse to toss all the bullshit out. including this rotting sandwich of a blog. a new one will come in a hot second.

introspection will be productive, no longer self defeating. shooting will be for the greater good, not the greater grade. ]

---

Brian Storm, of MediaStorm, spoke at Mizzou's school of journalism commencement ceremony and articulated positive things about the future of journalism that i'm keeping close to me during this time of personal change. take the time and read it here.


6 comments:

m said...

keep your chin up, my friend...

i find it helpful to remember that photography is not about me, it's about my subjects. put your focus on them and off of you for a little while and i guarantee your attitude will change about your abilities, when you're given the opportunity to tell someone else's story.

Jeremiah Wilson said...

yo andrea ive been dealing with the same stuff - getting too lost in self introspection, overly critical of myself, questioning my abilities, etc. - we gotta push through that to get better, i think...if we keep trying the pendulum will eventually swing the other way...

Djamila Grossman said...

hey lady. i've been in that funky mood too, but you know that already. what's worked for me is to figure out what i want to work on and why i'm not happy with my photos, specifically. so instead of being angry at myself for not shooting well i can turn it into a challenge, if that makes sense. and like you said before, it's all up there, in your head...it'll get better, keep plowing through this, you'll come out better for it on the other side.

Tom McCarthy Jr. said...

Lately, I've been a downer, too. And I have no advice for you, but I do like the look the blog and I hope to see more photos from you soon.

cohnhead said...

In a few weeks the sun will start coming back. Even if it is butt cold. Sunny days are good.

Heed the advice of M, focus on your subjects. Find their stories. Tell their stories. Work on ways to better tell their stories. Thats the trick. If you worry less about yourself it becomes a whole lot easier and a whole lot more fulfilling.

Jenny said...

Hey, just stopped by, because I knew I'd find something good...I did. It's 3 a.m. I'm unemployed. Thanks for the big picture.