Saturday, April 28, 2007

the governor and his shoes

Gov. Charlie Crist visited Ramblewood Elementary in Coral Springs. While addressing the media at the school's entrance, all I could think about were his shoes.

He was answering all of the reporters' questions and up until that point where I noticed a pair of tattered, leather slip-ons on the republican governor, I didn't expect much from this situation. His "people," standing just a few inches to the right of me, stared at me probably wondering why the little girl sitting on the curb is taking photos of the governor's shoes. They're modest, torn, almost non-threatening in a cheesy way, with all the fringe. Maybe I just love reading into things way too much.

It was surprising the way he related to the kids in the classrooms he visited. Half of them thought he was the president and were pretty star struck. Of course there was the awareness on my behalf that this whole thing is a photo op. But the governor would calmly squat down to tiny classroom chair level and joke with them in a soft voice while the teachers desperately continued trying to teach lessons no one was paying attention to.

After co-hosting the afternoon announcements with the school principal near the end of his tour, he walked through the library and stepped on someones shoe lace. "You better tie that," he told the little girl. "Actually," he said as started to bend down, "I'll do it for you." Kids were undoing their laces and crowding around hoping that they would be next.When he delivered the state of the state address back in january, i heard something about him being known for shaking the hand of everyone in the room. you know, something the "people's governor" (a role he's adopted) would do. Seems like he held true during this stop. With his "special governor pen" in his hand, he shook the hand of every student that lunged at him, every cafeteria lady that giggled with embarassment, every office aide trying to discreetly take photos with their cell phone camera. Needless to say, the governor left an impression on me.


2 comments:

Tom McCarthy Jr. said...

I like it. I'll admit, Crist has been impressioning me too lately.

Jenny said...

I love that little girl!!